Are you…

  • a UNHCR-designated refugee waiting placement?
  • a person displaced and facing persecution as defined by the UN?
  • thinking of coming to Canada to make a refugee claim?
  • presently in Canada and unable to return due to political, conflict, discrimination or climate upheaval?
  • a Canadian citizens willing to help displaced family members or friends?

Canadian immigration procedures can help…

From – outside of Canada

  • UNHCR-based applications
  • Applications to Canadian embassies abroad
  • Section 97 applications –abroad
  • Convention Refugee Abroad applications

From – inside Canada

  • In Canada Asylum cases
  • Section 25 Humanitarian applications
  • Section 97 applications – in Canada
  • Temporary resident permits

Since 1951,

Since 1951, Canada has been a leader in the acceptance of refugees as a signatory of the The 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol where the UN defines a refugee as “someone who is unable or unwilling to return to their country of origin owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion.”

And now an even bigger problem is emerging.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has projected that by 2050 over 1.5 billion people will be displaced from their homes to seek relocation either internally within their countries or externally to other countries. By the end of the present century, the figure will be close to 2.5 billion people, most of whom will be moving from south to north. Climactic zones are moving at the rate of about 30 km per year northwards so that by the end of the century the ideal zones to live will lie between 60° and 40° northern latitudes. Canada falls squarely within that zone.

Canada and other northern countries will now be called upon to accept a new yet-to-be -defined immigrant – the “climate refugee”. The purpose of this site is to keep abreast of the avenues presently available to individuals who are both conventional refugees and individuals displaced by increasing climatic upheaval

Speak with David Aujla

Vancouver – (604) 630-2244
Victoria – (250) 383-3542

Get in Touch

Email us describing your situation and we can advise you on the various Canadian government avenues that may be available to you or your family members.

  • Canadian Bar Association
  • The Law Society of British Columbia
  • Crease Harman LLP

David in the Media